Hiring A Canadian Lawyer

When a foreigner attempts to enter Canada, it is possible that the Canadian Immigration authorities may check for any criminal record and due to entries on that record may deem the foreigner criminally inadmissible to Canada. One of the main reasons why people are deemed inadmissible on these grounds is for offenses which are associated with drinking and driving, such as DUI (Driving Under the Influence). For these offences to be valid in refusing entry though, they should generally be less than 5 years old or in the case of multiple convictions, 10 years old but can be at the discretion of the immigration officer. These offences could have occurred anywhere in the world, not just in Canada or in the applicant’s home country but anywhere where a record has been kept including the United States. Just because you have been charged with a DUI offense, it does not necessarily mean that you will be denied entry as, if that charge is still depending, the immigration officer may permit access but in these instances, to assist the immigration officer in permitting access, it is best to have a legal letter explaining the position of the charge.

In the United States, many DUI offences are not placed on a person’s criminal record as there are several states that have probation programs which, if complied to, avoid any record of the offense being permanently documented. Although these types of programs are in place in most states, not all the states allow them to apply to DUI, especially if the charge is not a first offense.

If you are denied admission because of a DUI offense, your best course of action is to seek the advice of Canada DUI Lawyers as they can still acquire you access although you may have been deemed criminally inadmissible. Basically it is still possible to gain entry into Canada even though you may be criminally inadmissible but only if you apply and succeed in getting a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP). There are of course certain requirements that have to be met in order to attain a TRP and it is a Canadian lawyer that is best placed to ensure that all the conditions are correctly met and the application is progressed and approved as quickly as possible. Some Canadian lawyers specialize in these matters and can be easily found online.

Many countries consider that driving under the influence of alcohol are very serious charges but it is not all countries that will ban you from entry to their country because of them, like Canada does. Obviously driving under the influence is a very serious matter as it accounts for a very high proportion of traffic accidents and also lives lost on the road. It is for that reason that although nearly all states have probation laws which can avoid people from having a criminal record, many of the states will not apply the probation system to charges of DUI and so DUI charges have to be recoded on a person’s record.